Thursday, April 12, 2007

Turbulence and Uno

North Easter Island Circle, Englewood, Florida

Today was almost a day of relaxing. We didn't do much at all except lounge around the house. It was something like a day of rest, especially for people who don't rest on vacation.

Erin, Tim, and I watched a terrible cliche of a film with Ray Liotta (Turbulence) on TV, all the way through. I highly don't recommend it. At one point during the film, a large truck came down the street, stop a couple of doors down from us, and cut down a pathetic palm tree with only one front sticking out of its top. The process of taking down the tree was loud but quick. It took about three minutes total. (We had a tree in our yard removed once, and it took about four hours.) The truck stopped at the tree, a crane uncurled out of it and grabbed the top of the palm. A man on the ground cut the tree with a chainsaw, and the crane pulled the tree up high enough to drop it in the back of the truck. Then the crane's pincer held the remaining bit of tree, and the chainsaw cut it off right at the level of the ground. The truck left. Simple and over.



We did go to the bookstore to buy a couple of books for Erin, so she'd have something to read, and Tim got a deck of Uno playing cards. That was my only trip today, though Nancy also went to the grocery store. I did spend too much time on work-related activities today. A few hours at least. (Email was heavy, and much remains unaddressed.) I also dealt with my mild illness, which sometimes causes coughing jags, by making myself cup after cup of hot tea with lots of lemon and lots of sugar.

In the evening, Nancy and I made dinner (salmon again, green beans, and mashed red potatoes with skins, and we had Aunt Joan over again. Tonight is her last day in "the park" (Polynesian Village) because she's selling her house tomorrow. After dinner, Nancy, the kids, and I played Uno, a game most of us didn't know. The goal is to get rid of all one's cards, but the game is designed to keep adding cards to your hand, so it went on for a while.


At one point, Nancy went off to deal with the laundry and I took a short nap on the floor and dreamt of playing Uno. What woke me up was the realization that I hadn't really played a hand in a while, since all I had done was dream about it.

volveremos a las tortugas

No comments: